Miami announced Thursday that offensive tackle Taylor Gadbois had been dismissed. Gadbois was apparently surprised by the decision.
Miami did not reveal an official reason for his dismissal, and Gadbois was reportedly facing a possible suspension to start the 2015 season.
While Gadbois told the Palm Beach Post that he didn’t know why he was dismissed, he also said he was told that he wasn’t positive enough.
“They didn’t feel I was being positive enough with the team, with the young guys, which I completely disagree with,” Gadbois told the Post. “I mean, I work with these guys every single day. I’m in a group text with the team and everybody’s just bewildered by it. Everybody’s just blown away.”
In a statement, Miami coach Al Golden simply said “Taylor is a bright young man and we wish him the best in his future academic and athletic endeavors.”
According to CaneSport.com, the team had enough of Gadbois’ behavior at a Wednesday training event.
But sources told CaneSport this dismissal was coming for a long time and that Golden had given Gadbois every opportunity to conform to team rules and be a positive influence on the overall culture of the team. A bad attitude at the team building event Wednesday at Virginia Key that featured Marine-style training sealed his fate and inspired Golden to dismiss him. Gadbois was already expected to miss half the season due to a suspension on an unrelated violation of rules that has not been specifically revealed.
Gadbois told the Post he was informed of the decision on Thursday morning.
“He just basically said, ‘We’re parting ways,’” Gadbois said. “I said ‘What?’ I started [expletive] crying, man.
“I didn’t want to leave. This has been my dream school since I was four years old. I was in my last semester and they wouldn’t let me finish school or nothing. … Without the scholarship, I can’t afford school.
“This is where I want to be. I dunno. I don’t know what to do know.”
Gadbois was a three-star recruit from Dallas, Georgia in the class of 2011 though he joined Miami in 2012. He made five starts last year as a redshirt sophomore before suffering a season-ending injury. He was considered a candidate to be a starter on Miami’s offensive line in 2015.
For more Miami news, visit CaneSport.com.
– – – – – – –