Carlo Ancelotti planning to take a year off should he get sacked by Real Madrid
Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti still does not know his fate for next season. The Italian tactician is under contract with the club for one more year. But speculation is the 55-year-old will have the final year of his deal … Continue reading
Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti still does not know his fate for next season.
The Italian tactician is under contract with the club for one more year. But speculation is the 55-year-old will have the final year of his deal terminated next week by club president Florentino Perez.
Speaking after his side’s 7-3 victory over Getafe, Ancelotti revealed that he would take a season off from management, if he were to face the sack from Real Madrid in the coming days.
“I’m not going to say anything about my future than what I said yesterday,” Ancelotti said during his post-match press conference.”
“I’m still waiting. I think we’ll meet next week to talk about my future and that of the club. Things are the same as yesterday.
“I’ve talked to the players because today was the last game. I thanked them for the efforts they made this season in the good and bad times.
“My future in my head is clear…I carry on here or I take a break for a year.”
Ancelotti went on to say that he has heard no word from the club regarding an end of the season meeting. However, he expects to learn his fate on either Monday or Tuesday.
The manager went on to say that he accepts the criticism he has received this season – although many feel Real Madrid president Florentino Perez should share the blame for the state of the club.
Ancelotti said he understands that the questioning from fans and the media comes when a person takes on the challenge of managing Real Madrid.
“Madrid is demanding and it’s normal to be questioned when part of the season didn’t turn out as planned,” Ancelotti added. “It’s part of my job.
“Last year, we won the Decima and this year has been different. I don’t forget last year or this year. Everything needs to be taken into consideration. Everything that’s happened this season needs to be evaluated.
“We’ve said it many times. We’ve had injuries in January and February with three very important players. We dropped eight points against Villarreal and Athletic [Bilbao].
“In my personal opinion, I’d like to stay. If they tell me I can’t, I won’t be happy.
“These things happen in my job and it won’t be the first time. It won’t be the last time I’m fired. But I’m still confident about my work.”
Ancelotti had been tipped to take over at AC Milan should he have his contract terminated by Real Madrid. But the manager insisted he would take a season off from coaching.
According to several reports, Real Madrid’s most influential players have spoken up in defense of the manager to president Florentino Perez, who has reportedly tipped Napoli coach Rafa Benitez to be Ancelotti’s successor.
Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Sergio Ramos are rumored to have held face-to-face talks with Perez to ask for Ancelotti to remain in charge of the club.
Following today’s win over Getafe, Ronaldo took to his official Twitter account to praise Ancelotti while expressing that he hopes the manager is allowed to continue his work next season.