How’s that for a headline? Welcome Gregg Doyel, esteemed columnist for the Indianapolis Star, who joins Yahoo Sports’ Grandstanding podcast to talk about Indy’s long-running, and admittedly one-sided, rivalry with New England. Doyel is one of the rawest, most honest columnists writing today, and he has no problem calling out the ills he sees in the world … particularly in New England. Samples of his perspective on New England and its fans:
• “To panic, you have to have a heart. The Patriots are cold-blooded. They don’t panic.”
• “It is good versus evil. And we’re the good ones. We object to evil. We object to cheating.”
• “It helps sometimes to be cutthroat to win. Belichick has done that. He’s brilliant, but he’s undermined his own brilliance by being awful, being reptilian…He’s a brilliant reptile. The Patriots fans focus on the brilliant part, which I would if I were a Patriots fan. Most of the rest of us focus on the reptile.”
Gregg’s interview, which we highly recommend you hear in its entirety, is part of our Tuesday trio of interviews, which also includes:
• Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski, a Mets fan, discusses the New York Mets freight train in the NLCS, as well as the new Star Wars trailer;
• The Dagger’s Jeff Eisenberg, talking about the burgeoning sex-for-recruits scandal at the University of Louisville. Will head coach Rick Pitino keep his job? Will Louisville lose its wins and championship?
Thanks for listening to the Grandstanding podcast with Jay Busbee and Kevin Kaduk. Hit us up on Twitter (@kevinkaduk and @jaybusbee) Facebook (Kaduk here, Busbee here) or via the hashtag #grandstanding. See you next ep!
And keep up with Jay over on Facebook, too.